I recently sat down with a local rock legend and overall humble cat Richard Bacchus. He’s one of the coolest and most genuine people I’ve ever met, which is why I decided to give you his side of the story.
1. Tell us a little about yourself? I’m just your everyday, Rumslingin’ Guitar Playin’ Singin’ attention starved Circus Freak My Chinese Zodiac sign is The Monkey, My Western sign is Gemini with Scorpio rising. I moved to Raleigh from Loisaida NYC about 7 years ago.
2. You were in one of the most influential rock bands from NY in the 90’s “D Generation”. Bitter or sweet, can you tell our audience a little about you guys? Very Sweet, we had way more fun than anyone should be allowed to, I’m glad we’re all alive and still making music. We were the “odd man out” pretty boy punk band in the midst of the Grunge explosion in the early 90’s. I’m very proud of the music and the message, We still hold up.
3. The Luckiest Girls. This is your new band correct? Yes Richard Bacchus and The Luckiest Girls in all it’s various incarnations is my current band. Once you become a Luckiest Girl you can never un-become one at last count there were thirty seven of us.
4. Tell us a little about this project. I’m the boss, I write most of the music and all of the lyrics, We have a lot of fun until we don’t. when we screw up it’s usually my fault. The band is usually fantastic and always funny. I’m putting the final touches and working on the art work for a new album that should be out early next year.
5. Any other projects in the works? I’m playing guitar with MSRP, an indie rock band, we’re in the middle of recording an album. I play guitar with The Ghost Of Saturday Nite, a Punk, Hardcore band. We’re getting ready to head into the studio to make a record with Reed Mullin from C.O.C. and John Custer producing. I’m also Cutting tracks in the studio for a brand new D Generation album.
6. I hate to ask but, you have to tell us at least one or two crazy stories about NY in the 90’s. So many stories. We would live at the bar, The Continental, for days at a time. Once they’d locked us in for the night after closing we’d drink the beer coolers dry then stage a beer bottle throwing olympics. We put a couple of bartenders in the emergency room (Sorry Lara Feldman). some of my old dinner jackets still have tiny bits of brown and green broken glass in the pockets.
7. Any upcoming shows? Albums MSRP, Luckiest Girls, Ghost Of Saturday Night and D Generation, all coming to an iTunes store in your area, shortly
8. TOP 6 -Bands you must see besides your own. The Everymen Jesse Malin Reese McHenry John Howie Snake and The Plisskens The Battery Electric -Albums you must have in your collection. Replacements – Sorry Ma Ramones – Leave Home Jimmy Hendrix – Axis Bold As Love Gza – Liquid Swords Miles Davis – Sketches Of Spain Pink Fairies – Never Never Land
9. Any last words? Don’t forget to boogie – Up The Pinks